A Tribe Called Red transformed the House of Strombo's kitchen into a sweaty rave and The XX explored the making of their latest album with George Stroumboulopoulos on this week's episode of The Strombo Show.
A Tribe Called Red transformed the House of Strombo's kitchen into a sweaty rave, and the xx explored the making of its latest album with George Stroumboulopoulos on this week's episode of The Strombo Show.
After their intimate conversation about their evolution and politics, A Tribe Called Red opened the floodgates with a solid hour of drum-banging remixes, and with an assist from Shad and Leonard Sumner. An audience of friends and family threw down, including a new fan in the front row: legendary record producer Daniel Lanois.
Also on the show, the xx celebrated its third album, I See You, by discussing the band's songwriting process, chemistry challenges, the unavoidable influence of Jamie xx's solo album and how the members learned to expose new vulnerability: "We're together and figuring this out, celebrating it and taking a risk."
- Sex Pistols, “Anarchy in the UK”
- The Beach Boys, “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”
- Grouper, “I’m Clean Now”
- Fizzybangers, “Short Attention Span”
- Grandaddy, “The Way We Won’t”
- Deathhop, “Intoxicated Breaks”
- James Brown, “Say it Loud (Black and Proud)”
- Lauryn Hill, “Doo Wop (That Thing)”
- Run The Jewels, “A Report to Shareholders / Kill Your Masters”
- Arcade Fire, “I Give You Power (Ft. Mavis Staples)”
- The xx, “On Hold"
- Velvet Underground, “I’ll Be Your Mirror”
- The xx, “I Dare You”
- Spoon, “Hot Thoughts”
- Skeme, “Stay Dangerous”
- Dr. Dre, “The Watcher”
- Limp Bizkit, “Break Stuff”
- Menace Beach, “Maybe We’ll Drown”
- Kristin Hersh, “Soma Gone Slapstick”
- Liz Phair, “6’1””
- Circle Jerks, “World Up My Ass”
- Leather Towel, “Natural Disaster”
- Nirvana, “Downer”
- Nine Inch Nails, “The Idea of You”
- Mogwai, “Dust Bowl”
- Loretta Lynn, “Honky Tonk Girl”
- Eileen, “Ces Bottes sons faites pour marcher”
- A Tribe Called Red (Strombo Sessions)
- Miles Davis, “A Night in Tunisia”
- Pink Floyd, “Comfortably Numb”
- Jacqueline Tucci, “In Fall”
- Guns N’ Roses, “Patience”
For further musical exploration with George Stroumboulopoulos, tune in to The Strombo Show every Sunday night on CBC Radio 2 or CBC Music from 8 to 11 p.m. for three hours of uninterrupted music for music lovers.